From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2008 06:53:50 -0400
Linda wrote:
>hi i am boarding a ferret that has lost all of the fur on his paws,
>around his nose and eyes. has anyone had this and if so, what is it
>and what do you do for it? he is not adrenal and is active and eats
>well.

May I ask how you determined that he is not adrenal? I just took in two
little boys this week from the local animal shelter. They were both
very emaciated. One of the boys is bald on the top of his head, and
there is a bald stripe from his chin down onto his chest. The fur on
his belly is in little clumps that you can easily pull out (I kinda
doubt this is normal shedding in Florida, in August). The typical
adrenal hair-loss areas are thick with fur. I am thinking he probably
is adrenal, but maybe his problem could also be attributed to
malnutrition or parasites.

The good news is that they have both gained 5 oz. since Wednesday and
are as sweet as can be. They are very much opportunistic eaters, which
tells me they never knew when their next meal was coming. They gobble
down everything I put in front of them. And, they are getting much more
active and playful.

Katharine