From:
Roger McMillian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:09:12 -0600
It's easy to understand how people can get confused when the breeder isssue
pops up, now and again.  The main question here is "Where would you get a
ferret, if there were no breeders?" The simplified answer is: " You
wouldn't." But, we all know it's not that simple.  Ferrets are here and
they're (hopefully) going to be here as our pet of choice for a long, long
time, much to the dismay of pETA and their ilk.

I've only been owned by ferrets for the last 11 years, so my experience with
them is minimal compared to that of many of you.  I've been involved with
ferret rescue for the majority of that time.  My close association with the
GCFA shelter has allowed me to see over 1500 ferrets come through our
shelter.  I've also worked closely with the Greatest Ferret Show on Earth
show committee for the last 8 shows, and have met many breeders, of which I
hold the Killians in high regard.  (This is not an Ad for Zen.  It is just
my opinion that Bill & Diane are responsible breeders who care highly about
both the quality of their animals and of their placement in the homes of
others.)

So, where do you get your ferrets?  I guess it depends largely on what
you're getting them for and on what sources are available to you.  If you're
looking for a breeding ferret (and I suggest you think LONG and HARD and do
your research on this before searching out a breeder list), your best source
is a known breeder.  There are a few sites on the net that offer advice on
breeding.( I don't keep a list of breeders, so don't write me for one.)
There are many quality breeders on the FML and on the net.  Use the search
engines to find one in your area or be prepared to travel to where they are.
Never buy any animal sight unseen.  Be sure the breeder knows that you're
planning to breed them.  A few breeders insist on neutering and will put
that in the contract.  [Before you flame me for this paragraph, let me
clarify: I'm in favor of RESPONSIBLE breeding.  I am not in favor of
'closet' breeding or breeding to show junior where babies come from.  If
ferrets were not bred, they'd all eventually disappear from the pet world,
and we'd all be missing out on the unique kind of love that they alone can
share.]

If you're looking for a pet quality ferret, might I first suggest that you
consider the adoption option?  If there is an animal shelter in your area,
give them a call and ask if they have any homeless ferrets or know of a
shelter that does.  The GCFA shelter is the oldest non-profit, no-kill
ferret shelter in our state.  IN the last 10 -1/2 years, we've taken in over
2200 stray, unwanted or abandoned ferrets, all deserving of better homes.
If your heart has a special spot, why not foster?  There are many that need
special attention, medications and special feedings and the kind of TLC that
only a loving human can provide.  Lest I seem to slight anyone, known
breeders also breed for pet qualities in their ferrets.  If there is no
shelter in your area, this is another practical option.  You might also look
in the local paper for 'for sale' or 'free to a good home' ads.

Pet Shops should only be used as a last resort.  Most get their stock from
Marshall's.  A few go 'on the cheap' and get them from other large-scale
commercial ferret-mills that either neuter them too early or do a poor job
of it.  I won't mention names, but there are a few out there that do partial
spays that later result in false heats and, if the animal isn't seen by a
vet in time, death.  Many of these mills also sell most of their ferrets
(and other pet quality animals) to laboratories for various research
projects.  [I was hoping that, in the 11 years since I purchased my first
ferret (a whole jill from a breeder in Wisconsin), ferrets would have risen
above the 'lab-animal' level.  Sadly that's still not true.  I know, there
are some research projects that we as ferret folk have benefited from - like
the Kansas rabies study), but the little guys are also being used for tests
that have little or no benefit to their lives.]

OK, I'm climbing down from my soapbox.  Just putting my $.02 worth in.

Roger

The opinios expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those
of the Greater Chicago Ferret Association.  To reply, remove "mapson." from
my e-mail address.  Ferrets don't like spam.  Support a Spam-Free Usenet
ferret newsgroup.  Vote YES on rec.pets.ferrets.
http://ferret/chi.il.us/ferret/newsgroup.html