From:
Jan Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:42:46 -0400
Hi FMLers,

I would be very grateful for some advice on how to get my "bratty" boy
ferret Zachary, to stop biting.

Just to give you some background on the situation, I have had the pleasure
of cohabiting with ferrets for around 7 years now, and I volunteer with the
ferrets at the local Humane Society, where I have handled and helped "cure"
quite a few biters.  Two of my older girl ferrets have also been through
"bitey" stages, but Zachary is a different "kettle of fish" and his
behaviour is outside of my experience.

I "met" Zachary, a beautiful silver mitt, when he came to the Humane
Society as a stray at around 7-8 months old, full of energy and a biter
even then.  When he caught a bad cold, a fellow volunteer fostered him
until he was better and pretty much broke him of his biting habit, (she
is just a "natural" with problem children!), but unfortunately none of us
volunteers could keep him.  Although I wanted to take him, I had my hands
full as I had just rescued a sick ferret.  So instead, we took Zachary to
our local ferret shelter, as we feared he would be euthanized if he were
returned to the Humane Society.  He was well cared for at the shelter, but
in hindsight probably wasn't handled as much as he needed and instead got
to rough-house with a bunch of fellow shelter boys, where I think he
re-established his old habits.  When my sick ferret-boy died after only a
couple of months, I decided to adopt Zachary..  I have had him for around
8 months now and I know that Zachary loves me to bits.  He follows me
around everywhere and plays at every opportunity.  He has his own special
play time with me every morning when I get out of the shower and he is very
laid back with my other three girl ferrets.  However, it seems he just
loves to bite me (and anyone else), for no apparent reason - he knows all
those tender spots - noses, chins, arms, you name it.  If I am down on my
hands and knees, (cleaning out a litter pan), he just walks right up to me
and bites my legs or the back of my knees!  He just homes in on exposed
flesh!  He only ever gives me kisses when he first wakes up and is still
very sleepy.  If I scruff him, or hiss at him, (I've even tried biting him
back!), he just turns round and does it again!  I've used bitter apple,
which works at the time and now if he even sees me with the bottle, he
won't come near me.  But it has no lasting effect.  I've more or less given
up trying to discipline him, except when he bites really hard, as it seems
to make matters worse not better.  I just try and "avoid" bite situations -
I can normally tell when he is going to bite and I just tap him gently on
the nose and say "no", (but he does it anyway if I let him!).

I think he thinks that it is a good game, as sometimes if I turn my back
to him when we are playing "attack the towel" he launches himself at me,
grabs a hold of my leg, and then bites it.  Also sometimes when he is very
excited he "clings" on to my hand when we play and bites the web between
my thumb and fingers -ouch!!  I try to calm him down when he gets overly
excited, but it has no lasting effect.  I give him lots of attention,
kisses, (while gently holding his head, so he can't bite!), and cuddles,
but I can't trust him at all.  Recently my friend and fellow ferret
volunteer, was giving him a great massage and he was totally limp in her
hands and loving every moment, so I leaned over him because he looked so
sweet.  Well from being in a semi comatose state he literally launched
himself at my nose and latched on to my septum - he just doesn't miss a
chance and boy did my eyes water!  Then he tried to bite my friend too,
ungrateful boy that he is!

I don't think it is linked to jealousy, because, if anything, I give him
more attention and handle him more than the others to try and break him
of the habit.  My other thought is that he is trying to make us humans
his subordinates, but this doesn't seem to make sense since he is very
non-confrontational with other ferrets.  (Two of my girls have an on-going
love hate relationship and always have spats, but he never joins in and
just shrugs off other ferrets that try and pick arguments with him.)

Sorry this is such a long post, but I feel that I have followed most of the
normal advice, so I am looking for some new suggestions!  It is true that I
am not a good disciplinarian, (dogs, for instance, love me but won't do a
thing I tell them!) I try to cure problems with love and maybe in doing so,
I send conflicting messages.  Currently I'm just hoping that he will grow
out of this, like one of my toe-biting-girls did, but he is sooo persistent
that I wonder if it points to anything else.  Incidentally, he is the first
boy I have ever had, (apart from my poor sick boy who died after 2 months)
and the only male - apart from my boyfriend.  Do you think he is trying to
make me part of his harem?

Any help and suggestions would be welcome - feel free to email me direct,
or "post" if it might help others too.

Many thanks

Jan and Daryl (ferret fodder), Zach the 'brat", Queen Fenella,
Hootie-Hoots and Cirque the one-ferret circus.