From:
Olivia Brett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:21:06 -0800
Sandee,
Smokey came to me just over one year ago.  My Rockey had lost his friend,
Oscar, a DEW and I wanted him to have another friend.  A friend of a
friend had a sister who had a pair and a single she could no longer care
for.  Smokey, a beautiful sable did not get along with Snicker and Timber
as he had lost his brother in fur only recently and was hostile to the
other two.  Of course I came away with all three.

From the beginning Smokey was a loner.  On reflection, he was probably
ill from the first.  Even if I had known this, it would not have changed
things.  I would still have taken and loved him.  Last July, he had a
spleenectomy and recovered well.  He ran and played and happy.  Then in
January, he was losing weight and energy.  He stayed by himself again.
The awful reason was soon clear; Smokey had lymphoma.  I did not want
chemo but wanted him as comfortable as possible.  He was treated with
Prednisilone, Lasix and pain meds as needed.  We spent many evenings with
him on my chest and his head on my shoulder so he could breath better.
Sometimes we fell asleep like that.

On Thursday, March 11th, his breathing was harsh.  The pain med helped.
I awoke on and off that night.  I told him of the Rainbow Bridge so he
would know where he was.  I also told him how much I loved him and he
could go whenever he was ready.  Before I left for work, I tucked him in
his tent.  He looked so comfortable and content!  Three hours later I
just HAD to leave work.  When I got home, he was gone, curled up in his
tent and at peace finally.

I know he is there and can RUN again and his fur is thick and beautiful
again.  He loved his Ferretone and cantaloupe and watermelon.  I don't
know his friend's name but Oscar, who I KNOW can hear now can be his
brother in fur.  With his health restored, he can tumble and play.  Tell
him I love him and will see him again someday.  I hope I did the best for
him.  Although, I miss him, I know he is happier and at peace now.  Wish
him joy and FUN.

Thank you for your good work.  It means so much to those who lose our
dearest friends.

Olivia

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.con/friend/eyeinfbi