Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 07:54:39 -0500
Hi there Vicki
 --
I was just reading the FML--

Yes-- the information Joan gave you is correct!! -- and the treatments you
are following should save your dear Yoshi.

I am *NOT* a vet, just another shelter mom, but it really sounds from your
post like your Yoshi is grieveing and has developed an ulcer.  The new vet
may not be familiar  so I think to suggest a second opinion with either the
regular vet-- OR another knowledgeable vet--  was quite in order.

Ulcers are not uncommon,  but left untreated they could be FATAL.

Here, our vets put ulcer patients on amoxycillan for the heliobacter
infection which accompanies the ulcer and there is also sucralfate which
is required before foods 4-5 times EACH day-- this may be needed for as
long as 30 days ( sometimes the amoxy too) followed by pepto bismal or
kaopectate!

Ulcers seem to be missed many times.  We find that as a result many ferrets
are lost each year to stomach bleed outs-- that is when the uklcer eats
into the stomach wall and hits a blood vessel.  The stools beome tarry or
bloody and unless someone has a vet do a necropsy they just done;'t know
what the ferrets problem was!  So glad you found a ferret person to guide
you!

Good luck to you both -- wishing Yoshi a great recovery!

alicia
for the many faces of Ferret Wise

PS  grinding teeth is a sure sign of ulcer or stomach upset , also chin
dragging on the floor following eating.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html