From:
daisy duck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2014 09:23:50 -0800
After I read yesterday's note on the two abused ferrets out west I
couldn't get the pictures out of my head...so disturbing. I'm glad they
made it to a shelter and hopefully will spend the rest of their lives
warm and protected, at least. Then today an article that someone lit
their ferrets on fire? I could not bring myself to read it. When I
acquired my first ferret years and years ago I had to get a license and
pay a measly $10 fee for it. Several years later they did away with the
requirement. I am in NYS and assume it was through the Department of
Ags and Markets, but I'm not sure. IMO, if a license was required and
there was a $50 yearly fee attached to it maybe only people who were
really serious about owning a ferret would get one. It might cut down
on the abuse, although in NYS you are required to get a license for
your dog and there is still plenty of abuse there. I would not know
how to go about getting started to look into making this happen. Maybe
a petition starting with the FML folks and then circulating out?
Opinions.....? I'm willing to help work on this.

Daisy