From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 09:20:06 -0500
THE ADVICE DISPENSED BY MYSELF IN REFERENCE TO FML POSTINGS IS NOT MEANT TO
SUPPLANT THE ADVICE OF VETERINARIANS WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF THE PATIENT.  IF
THE PATIENT IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER THE CARE OF A VETERINARIAN, THE CLIENT IS
RECOMMENDED TO TAKE THEIR FERRET TO ONE.

>From:    Ernst Hadenfield <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: fur loss
>Isabella a stray i recently adopted three weeks ago has been desexed twice
>the first time by her previous owner a year ago.Then her owner gave her up

The fur loss may be a normal response to the sudden change in the hormones
secondary to the last spaying.  Also infections (especially when a fever is
present) may also cause premature hair loss.  Also some ferrets blow their
coats twice a year which is normal.  If Isabella is acting normal, I would
just monitor her for now.

>From:    Juliana Paulauskas <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets and Cancer....
>I am still wondering why ferrets are so prone to getting cancer.

In the future we will probably find predisposing factors to a lot of types
of cancer.  At this time, I know of no link to alcohol and lymphosarcoma in
a ferret.  Ferret, probably because they are ferrets, are susceptible to
these types of tumors.

>From:    Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet question: blood in urine
>Is it possible for a ferret to have an infection in the wall or lining of
>the urinary tract that does not always consistently show bacteria?

An urinalysis includes the microscopic examination of a centrifuged sample
of urine.  Not all bacteria are readily seen by this method and so we
culture sometimes when we have a suspicion of an urinary tract infection.
The culture not only identifies the bacteria, it grows it in massive
quantities for antibiotic testing if needed.

Whenever your vet runs a test you need to remember how sensitive the test
is.  In this example, if s/he saw bacteria in the urine you know it is
there, if s/he did not see bacteria, it may still be there.

>From:    Stanley Copp <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Human-ferret disease vectors?
>I know ferrets and humans can transmit colds to one another but how about
>atypical (bacterial) pneumonia?

It has been shown that people and dogs can both carry strep throat.  I
personally believe that there are probably numerous shared bacteria between
pets and people (bacteria are a little less demanding of their
micro-environment compared to viruses).

>From:    Scott Stancil <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hacking Noise

Consider furballs on the list of possible problems. You might also consider
low grade stomach inflammation (gastritis) possible also. Have them checked
out by a vet.

>From:    "Lindy N. Garner" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: not adrenal again???
>VET QUESTION: Ok, I'm very depressed.  Idgie grew hair in on her back, tail,
>and lower abdomen.  It never made it to her upper abdomen and now she is

It is possible that the right adrenal has a tumor.  I would recommend the
University of Tennessee adrenal panel to confirm the diagnosis.  If
positive, your vet has two options.  First, lysodren therapy; second,
partial right adrenal removal.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.