From:
ferret lover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:23:28 -0800
The day before Thanksgiving, my sister's SO was leaving for work in the
morning.  He saw her cat-Mama Kitty laying in the neighbor's yard.  She
had been hit-was still alive...but in pretty bad shape after laying out in
near-freezing temperatures for who knows long.  He scooped her up and took
her back to my sister.  My sister rushed her to the vet.  Her back was
broke.  Upon the recommendation of the Vet, my sister let her go.  She
took her home in a box and on the next day-Thanksgiving Day, we buried Mama
Kitty in her backyard.  I loved that cat like she was my own, so it was a
painful day for everyone.

Two weeks have passed and yesterday I got a call from my sister.  She said,
"Judy, you aren't going to believe this...but Mama Kitty came home!" So I
listened to her tell me how she was working at her desk when a black cat
jumped up on the screen of the window by where she sat.  My sister looked
at the cat and said, "No, you're dead!" The cat hung there-just like Mama
Kitty did when she wanted in!  So my sister went to the door and let her
in!  First, she ran straight to the food bowl, then wrapped herself around
my sister's feet, jumped up on the top of the fridge to make sure all was
as it should be-then ran to my sisters bed, jumped up on the pillow, bathed
and went to sleep!  My sister said, "Judy, it's her...it really is! ...so
who did we bury in the back yard???"

She called me back last night to explain what she'd found out!  She just
recently moved out there and there are only 2 other houses near hers.  It
turned out that one of her neighbors had a black cat, too-small frame,
female, green eyes.  For the last two weeks, Mama Kitty has stayed with
them!  They even took her to their vet because they thought something was
wrong with her...she had been behaving strangely...almost like she was a
whole different cat!

They thought she might be sick...but the vet gave her a clean bill of
health!  They were very sorry to hear about their cat but thanked my sister
for not allowing her to suffer.  They also said they loved Mama Kitty and
anytime she needed a cat-sitter, they hoped she would consider them!  The
conversation continued and my sister learned that they are both retired,
and their children and grandchildren all live far away.  They miss
them-especially this time of year!  They asked my sister about her
daughter-said they see her get on and off the school bus and wondered how
old she was.  They also asked if maybe when it warms up in the spring, if
they could possibly hire her to do some chores around the yard!  My sister
says she thinks they sound lonely.  She has decided to include them in her
Holiday Baking....making a tray for her daughter to take down to them!

I consider this to be a Christmas Miracle...a small one-but a miracle none
the less!  My sister got her Mama Kitty back and made two new friends in
the process!  She said, "having Mama Kitty back is the best present I've
ever got!" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...so I did both!

=====
Judy Cooke
Tyson, Hope, and Einstein

"The world is made up for the most part of morons and natural tyrants, sure
of themselves, strong in their own opinions, never doubting anything."
Clarence Darrow