Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 00:47:17 EDT
Please note - I am NOT asking for donations.  I do not want cash or
supplies donated, in whatever amount or brand.

What I do need is assistance in finding loving homes in the El Paso/West
Texas/Southern New Mexico area.  I get calls regularly for turn-ins (so it
is obvious that people do know I'm here); but I have had perhaps 4 or 5
calls for adoption this entire year - and only 2 of those have followed
through so far.

My adoption requirements are simple; in brief, the adopter needs to own a
copy of either Mary Shefferman's or Debra Jean's book, live in a place
where ferrets are not restricted or forbidden, be willing to provide for
the ferret's needs (appropriate food, a safe environment, attention, vet
care and supervision), and also be willing to ask questions.  Adoption fees
are on a sliding scale based on the age and/or any special needs of the
ferret(s).  The ferrets come back to me if there is ever a problem in
keeping them, which is why I prefer to adopt locally.  But, I am willing to
work with/through other shelters also, even if they are not exactly
"local," so that there will be that support there for the adopter and for
the ferrets if needed.

None of the ferrets here have ever been exposed to ECE.  El Paso still
remains, by whatever chance, an ECE-free area.  The critters here are of
various ages, mostly 2 year old and up with some being "elderly," some have
special needs.  Many of them are in bonded pairs which should not be broken
up.  There's one younger girl, an almost-grown kit, who still needs her
vaccinations (have to wait a few more days to give her lost owners a chance
to reclaim her, before I vax & make her available for adoption.)

If you know of anyone in this area, or if you will be travelling through El
Paso some time in the not-too-distant future, and may be interested in
adopting, please let me know.  If you're a shelter in the area with a
waiting list of adopters and not enough ferrets, please contact me.

I am currently at capacity, and will have to turn away voluntary,
non-emergency surrenders or place them on a waiting/referral list for a
while.  I will still handle emergencies and animal control pick ups.  But
I would *love* to get the numbers down - and get these critters into the
permanent homes they deserve.

Anyone out there want a(nother) hyper bundle of love?  :-)

Carla Smith  <><
WhyNot? Ferrets
http://www.whynotferrets.com
ICQ:  29478475
member, Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club, El Paso, TX
"Every pet deserves to be loved, and to have someone cry over them when
they're gone."