From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:43:00 -0500
Congratulations, Florida!

As other states come in with changes in relation to quarantine we REALLY
should have some central location keeping track.  Troy Lynn is the logical
individual if she has the time and wants to do so.  If not, then it probably
should be someone else with long involvement in the quarantine efforts, or
maybe a running tally could be attached to the FML header until Spring (?).
What would be workable or a pain in the b-tt?  To be honest, I STRONGLY NEED
to keep track myself for the sake of the Morris Animal Foundation; Sarah's
asked me to keep her up to date so whoever winds up with the info, PLEASE,
know that I HAVE to keep a list as well and PLEASE exchange info with me.

My personal expectation at this point is that most states which move to
quarantine will do so after the start of 1998 when the compendium change
goes into effect.  (Have already heard unofficially about some in this
category.) Some will have the paperwork in place and it will be fast; others
will be required to begin procedures after the Compendium goes into effect
(rather than before) by state regulations.  What do folks here think of
April or May as the logical month to know which states will be the problem
hold-outs?

Who will know if your state is now a quarantine state or planning to become
one (though you might not be told about the second possibility, yet)?  Your
state public health veterinarian in change of rabies policy will know.  You
can find this person by calling your state health department and playing
phone hopscotch till you get the right person -- which might take while
since some states have multiple public health vets.

There might be some public health vets out there who still are unaware of
the new 1998 Compendium changes which will save many ferrets lives so they
have to be gotten interested and enthusiastic so that they learn about them
as soon as possible.  (In other words -- DON'T flame them because you NEED
them on your side.  The Compendium is a recommendation and these state vets
are the ones who actually change policy.  You need their cooperation and
help.) Others may have an idea what the policy is, but your state public
health vet in charge of rabies policy (Put down the vet's name when you post
it to the FML, please, for thank you letters from others in your state.) is
THE one to ask so we all can know for sure.

Question: which states had quarantine by legislation (or by pre-announcement
policy change) in place before the new Compendium announcement?  I think
they were N.H., Mass., and Maryland, but I may be wrong.  So far I have
compiled the following with new policies in effect AFTER the announcement:
N.J., Michigan, Ohio, and Florida.  Corrections?  Additions?

Sukie