From:
Dani Lucking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:36:25 -0600
Well, I made it Atlanta, finally.  While looking for a groomer for my dog,
and a good source for pet supplies, I found two stores that raised
questions for me.  One told me that Iams is lowering their standards and
will begin selling at Walmart.  This is our primary ferret food, as our
former town had few, if any ferret foods.  I ended up buying some Solid
Gold food.  I had never heard of it, but the protein was right.  All the
propaganda made it seem like a good food.

The second store had a guy who says he owns a ferret and he made a
statement I rejected immediately, but it still worries me.  He said you'll
kill a ferret giving it cat food, even high quality cat food.  He said that
lymphosarcoma (sp?) is the number one health problem with ferrets and it
is caused by the food.  This store (and all the others I have seen so far)
only carries Marshall Farms food.  I know it is okay as a food, but I was
under the impression that it was not that great.  That is why I have bought
Iams.  I thought they were fairly compairable.

Does anyone know if Solid Gold is as good as the propaganda (got the dog
food for my dog, also) and can cat food really kill a ferret?  I know the
latter seems stupid, but you know how protective and nervous we can be
about ferrets.  I think he just wanted to sell me the ferret food, or maybe
he really believes it.  My kids all have soft coats, clear eyes, and lots
of energy.  Three of the five are close to 5 years old, and as active as
you would expect.  They have eaten Iams their whole lives.  Have I not been
doing right by them?  I thought it was the best food that was locally
available to me.

Please answer me personally.  I am still unpacking boxes and have yet to
read an entire fml beginning to end in the new house.  Thanks.  Please
don't flame me if you disagree with Iams as a food.