Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 19:01:16 EDT
Okay, I'm angry.  And very sad.

We picked up two ferrets from the SPCA today - both wearing collars.  The
ferrets are about 2 years old and the collars were so tight that they had
to be cut off the ferrets.  The jill, Tyler, had fur and skin attached to
the collar when we removed it.  She has a welt that runs around her neck
that is raw and red.  The hob, Roscoe, has no hair and some redness - but
hair and skin were also attached.  Both ferrets will most likely have
scars for life.

These collars were almost certainly on these ferrets since they were
purchased -- and never adjusted.  I personally don't like collars on
ferrets - not just for this reason.  If you have collars on your ferrets,
please take a minute and check on how tight they are.  These two are
breathing easier now -- and I thank God that I was there for them.  I
shudder to think of what may have happened if their original owners had
kept them.  Reason for turn in?  - living in an apartment where they
weren't allowed and they gambled (and lost) that the management would
never find out.

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854