From:
Dave++ Ljung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 10:23:16 MDT
>From:    Judi Lunn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: CBS, Airlines,HELP
>...Problem: She is coming home via Washington DC on June 30th (US Air)
>and cannot take a ferret in the cabin, and we won't allow babies to go
>below with the luggage!

The airline rules are, in my opinion, open to 'interpretation.' :) I
recently moved to Colorado and needed to bring my four beasts with me
(cat, dog and two ferrets).  The airline rules only allow cats in a cage
on board the plane, and only one animal per cage.  I didn't want to split
my carpet sharks up, so I put them in a cat carrier and brought them on
with me.  When I got on the plane, they were happily hidden under a
blanket as all the passengers tried to peer in the cage to look at my
'cat.' Naughty me ;).  Anyways, the point is that the stewards and
stewardesses didn't give the cage a second look, and didn't even know what
the airline rules regarding on-board animals are.

My belief is that since my ferrets are quiet, and weren't in the process
of shedding, and had been recently bathed, etc.. etc..  so they didn't
harm anyone else on the plane.  (Though I probably shouldn't have taken
them out to say hi to them during the flight, I freaked out the people
across the aisle  ;)

So my advice would be to just pack them in a pet carrier and fly with them,
as long as they aren't noisy - chances are they will sleep most of the
flight, though you could probably get light depressants from your vet to
help them deal with the excitement/anxiety of the flight.

My poor dog, on the other hand, had to stay in back in the pet cargo area.
They wouldn't let a 70 pound Akita on board with me.  ;)

------

A question:

  One of my ferrets seems to have unfortunately come down with an adrenal
lesion.  He has loss of hair from his tail going up his back, increased
sexual drive, etc...

  Even more unfortunately, he has already had one of his glands either
partially or completely removed (can't tell from the vet records), because
of adrenal cortical hyperplasia (sp?).

  I'm currently looking for a vet here in the Fort Collins area, but I
can't get any referrals so I'm just going to have to call random vets up
and ask questions to see if they know anything about ferrets (ugh).

  Does anyone have any advice of how to help my little guy?  I've read the
adrenal lesion FAQ, and it says that ferrets can't have both of their
glands removed.  I'm worried that the entire gland was removed last time
(it was his left).  Also, according to the FAQ, the right is harder to
work on.  *sigh*..  Poor guy.

Thanks in advance...

Maxmillion Fantastic & Sagitarius Excalibur (ferrets),
Kodi The Bear (2 year old puppy), Cinder (a.k.a. Mr. Cat),
and Dave (rent-paying, food-buying slave :)

ooo  /--  --- ooo | David Ljung                                      oo )   |
oo  /  / /__/  oo | Hewlett-Packard       W: (970) 229-2379     moo. |_/\   |
ooo     /     ooo | Computer Architect    H: (970) 282-9853                 |
:oooo  / ooooooo: ---= Check out:  http://www.geom.umn.edu:8000/ljung =------