From:
"Mason T. Weinrich" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 09:19:29 -0500
Just wanted to share another vaccine reaction story from yesterday.  I took
Slinky, my 2 1/4-yr old MF male in for his annual distemper shot yesterday.
He has never had any signs of a reaction before, and has gotten fervac every
year.  I live around the corner from the vet's office, so I did leave after
the shot (about 5-10 minutes).  After we had been home for 5 minutes, Slink
started to make some strange whining noises, then threw up.  I rushed him
back to the vet (again - only took about 2 minutes) - he threw up once
again, and appeared to be wheezing.  The vet took him, and gave him some
benydril - he seemed OK after that.  When we got home he went straight for
the water dish and had a good long drink.

For the rest of the evening, he was definitely not himself.  He kept
scratching his sides hard, licking and biting at his rear end, walking while
dragging his butt on the floor, and would alternate lying down with great
restlessness.  His nose was red, but paws and head color OK.  He finally
went to sleep after about 3 hours.  As of this AM, he appeared much better,
although still wiped out.  His didn't eat anything last night, and his
stools this morning were more mucous-y than normal - but I attribute that to
his not having eaten anything.

I was suprised at the post-reaction reaction - I hadn't read too much about
that, although the FML had prepared me for the reaction to the vaccine.  I
hope Slink is OK now (I think he is) - but it sure was scarry at the time!

PS - Thanks to the Bossarts - didn't mean to call so late - I was just
worried about my little guy!

Best - Mason, a worn-out Slinky, a confused Pogo, and Leila the cat (who
still has her own things to worry about, no matter how weird the little
things are being!)