From:
Jage Kelmli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 12:38:52 -0700
Hi-

I just found the FML, and it was a fun way to start my day.  After 15 years
of longing (ever since I saw the Beastmaster as a child) I finally got a
ferret baby last July.  Eris jumped out of a pile of baby ferrets before the
others ever realized there were any humans around to play with.  He was
obviously well loved before I got him (on the first day he was at the pet
store).  He actually cried when he was put down for the entire first week.
He just wanted to be held and loved and played with.  Unfortunately, he
doesn't often sleep in my lap anymore, but with 3 cats, it's no wonder.
He'd have to keep defending his territory.  He never bites, just 'mouths'
things, and is never caged.  The neighbor hood kids love to play with him.
He is a well socialized ferret- with people that is.  I want to get him a
playmate this spring- any Twin City breeders out there have a litter coming
up?

Well, Eris not only plays with his 2 humans he lives with differently than
others, he even has his favorite visitors.  My cousin and a friend of my
roommates receive special treatment, too.  He has certain games he plays
with certain people, and he literally runs out to great his favorites
everytime he hears their voices.  If my roommate Jeff or I are gone, he gets
very upset.  When Jeff is gone, Eris will continually wake me up at night
seeking attention and reassurance.  He also MUST be picked up and kissed (he
kisses back with a lick on the lips or nose) everytime he wakes up, but
ESPECIALLY in the morning.  He'll try to climb up my leg to greet me if I
can't pick him up immediately.  He hasn't started to 'dook' yet- when does
that really start?  But he does say "He he he" and dances around lots.  He's
extrememly bright.  He figured out how to open my dresser drawers, and often
sleeps curled up in my pants.  If we're outside and he is playing on his
lease with some kids on one side of the house and I'm working in the garden
on the other side, he will run at breakneck speed into my arms to say hello
again and then happily turn around and dance with the children.  I've never
seen him do anything like that with anyone else.  I don't know if being an
only ferret has influenced his obvious attachment and loyalty, but he makes
it clear that every human is a friend to play with, but his humans are his
family.

I'm curious how many others let their ferrets have free reign of the house?
I got Eris after I purchased my own home, and I intentionally set up my
entire house to be 'safe' for the cats I already had and the kids I used to
take care of.  Eris isn't into squeezing into tiny spaces, other than
putting his nose in and sniffing, but there aren't really any danger zones
here anyway.

jage (with Eris sleeping nearby, waiting for me to get up so he can latch
onto my socks and be dragged across the floor).