Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 20:41:40 -0400
Got a message from Bob Jacobs (Thank You!) in reference to the survey data
posted yesterday, correcting the information I had on Michigan.

It also seems I need to add another option to question 3 (Does the state
allow quarantine or does the law say kill-and-test in any bite situation?)
So, add code "L = risk analysis, in accordance with current CDC guidelines"
and change the codes on Michigan to read:

              Mich:    N     R      L      for questions 1, 2 & 3.
i.e. - they don't recognize the efficacy of Imrab-3, but they do require the
vaccination of ferrets with a USDA-approved vaccine (and like Bob J.
mentioned to me, YOU figure out why.....) and they are supposed to use
proper risk analysis according to the current CDC guidelines.  Ferrets were
legalized in Dec. 1994.

I'm grateful to Bob for pointing out this error.  I ask that if any of you
find any other errors in the data I am receiving, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!  This
is why I'm posting what I have here first..... Y'all are very good at
catching this kind of thing!

I am very dependent upon the research of others in this, and while I can
verify some of the information personally, I am not able to personally
contact every state Dept.  of Health to get this info on a timely basis
(have to work....) This is one reason why I really want to have the contact
info for each state - either a person situated in the gov't who knows what
they are talking about, or as in the case of one state (so far) a ferret
organization officially designated to handle the inquiries.  This way, the
info can be verified by *anyone.*

YOU are the real researchers - I'm just the collator.

(I have to mention - the incorrect information I had on MI did not come from
the person credited - he's the one I got the names/numbers listed with the
state from, on one of his public posts.  The incorrect data came from
elsewhere - and I take the blame for including it without more info on the
source.)

I also caution everyone - as I was reminded last night by a member of SAFE -
just because the STATE law says "quarantine" or "risk analysis" doesn't mean
that LOCAL officials will be aware of the law, or follow it as they should.
And, various municipalities within the state could interpret the laws in
different ways, or have added regulations on top of the state regs.  Nor
does it mean that the regulations won't change in the future.  DON'T take
this survey as "the bottom line" for your state, for these reasons.  Do use
it as a potential starting point for talking to your local officials.

I've gotten in data on a couple other states, & will be posting those soon;
but I wanted to get this correction out ASAP.

Carla Smith
WhyNot? Ferrets
Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club