From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 1996 16:23:55 -0400
I wrote...
>Small breeders do not have the gene pool of a larger breeder so more close
>in-breeding will occur.

Debbie Riccio wrote...
>Bill, I'm going to 'somewhat' disagree with you on this - it might have
>been better if you said "may occur"

I accept the chiding.  Debbie's right 'may' is better than will.  But since
I became involved in trying to develop a large database of ferret
backgrounds I've noticed the threads are a lot more intertwined than the
breeders suspected.  These are not close in-breedings but over time with a
smaller genetic pool at their disposal the width of the pool is not as broad
as suspected.  But its a geographic thing.  More and more the better
breeders are ranging further and further to refresh the breadth of the pool.

Debbie wisely pointed out...
>As with everything else in life, each spector has its own good and bad
>points, and I have no pat answer.

Nor do I nor anybody else I've heard from.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://userwww.qnet.com/~killian/zen_home.htm