From:
Ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 09:14:17 -0000
Win Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:-
>I presently have two geriatric bulldog ferrets.  One is a male that is
>8 years old and has lymphosarcoma.  The other is a female, 6.5 years
>old and in good health.  Both have been wonderful members of our
>household for the last six years.  I know that in the near future I
>will loose both of these wonderful ferrets and now I will get to the
>point and my question.  Is there any one out there that knows of a
>breeder of these bulldog ferrets? They are rather stocky and have short

>tails and short legs and they walk with the gate of a bulldog.  The
>females have a very short face rather like a male.  I think the breed
>comes from Germany.

The above description sounds just like Dumpling one of my rescued
ferrets - the first thing I did was get him neutered.

His previous owner used to breed ferrets and practised in breeding - in
other words he couldn't be bothered to get the ferrets neutered -
Dumpling's mother had been mated to either her brother or father.  Poor
Dumpling is the result of keeping it in the family :-( Not only does he
have a stumpy tail, short legs, short stocky body his fangs also
protrude more than any other ferret I have.  A friend said that even his
mouth has been foreshortened so that all his teeth have been crammed
into a space that just isn't long enough for them, she was also
wondering what effect the shortness of his body is having on all his
internal organs.

Dumpling is currently my number one PR ferret.  I think he must be about
6 y.o. and is now beginning to develop medical problems - he's having
trouble with his back legs, my vet seems to think it could be the blood
supply to them.

--
Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & N.F.W.S. News Editor.