From:
Lisa M Tieber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:12:07 CST
Hi,
This is regarding the few posts about outdoor ferrets.  Personally, I
believe that ferrets are a lot more "hearty" than some may think.  Well
at least when it comes to colder temperatures(I am not talking about Iowa
winters).  From what I have read and seen, ferrets should be fine outside
in moderate temperatures.  Actually, I do know of some breeders and
shelters that keep their ferrets outside (or at least have access to
outside)in the state of Iowa.  SO I guess these ferrets do fine in the
cold.  The heat is another story.  Ferrets do not have well developed sweat
glands and can get heatstroke quite easily(I am not sure but I think I read
a book that quoted 80 degrees F as too warm for a ferret).  I know my
ferrets have done fine at temperatures above this though.  I agree with the
attention, I can see that happening quite easily.  But I have to disagree
with the remark to Angie that she must get her ferrets inside.  For some
reason I have the impression that ferret owners in other countries(England,
Italy) keep their ferrets outdoors all the time.