From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:20:35 -0500
On behalf of shelters everywhere, and more particularly, disadvantaged
ferrets, I would like to say a few words about the Giving Tree.

Last year was the first year I was able to help my local shelter put
our 'needy' ferrets up on the site. It took a fair amount of work just
organizing the photos, writing the stories and descriptions, and then
sending it off. Kris got them up and the generosity of Santa's across
our continent was simply unbelievable.

Fortunately, our shelter was not in the position financially that we
truly 'needed' the gifts of Secret Santa to enable our ferrets to have
a special Christmas. Every foster family looking after them would have
done whatever it took to make sure Christmas was special.....but by
placing our disadvantaged ferrets on the Tree, we gave Santa's
elsewhere an opportunity to perform an act of kindness. That seems to
me the 'truth' of the Giving Tree.

Lets face it. The ferrets don't know it's Christmas. No one will deny
they have had hard lives, horrible things done to them, etc. We are all
here for the ferrets. But what I want to bring out is this.

Each year Kris has gone to incredible lengths making it possible for
us humans to get a good feeling out of Christmas. We feel good sending
gifts, we feel good getting gifts, we feel we are doing the right thing
for the ferrets. The side benefit is that the ferrets actually do get
gifts....but I know like most of you do, that no shelter is going to
let a ferret go without, regardless of what season it is.

When I see people complaining about the length of time it has taken
Kris to get ferrets up on the tree, when I see complaints about this
and that, it blows my mind that we can't realize none of this would
happen, would have happened or will happen in the future without the
labor of love Kris puts into it. He does this in his spare time. He
gets no payment from it. It takes long hours and a lot of work. Do you
not think he has other interests, or demands on his time? If he was
sick, if he experienced the loss of a loved one, what allowances would
you make for him?

When something this good, taking this much effort, is offered to you
for FREE, it behooves you to offer your THANKS, offer your help in any
way, and encourage, not gripe and whine.

Kris, last year your efforts brought joy to our shelters ferrets, but
more importantly, you made me realize that strangers from countries
away would spend their hard earned money on animals they would never
see or touch. You showed me the true Spirit of Christmas exists in
people I've never met.

From our shelter, and our hearts, we offer the biggest thanks we can.
You won't hear us whine or gripe. If there is any way you can think of
that would reduce your workload, that we, the thankful ones could do,
then by all means share it with us. We'll do whatever we can to keep
your spirits up and 'in the game'. Trust us, we completely appreciate
your efforts on our behalf.

On behalf of grateful shelter volunteers and ferrets everywhere.

[RY]