Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:33:19 -0500
Hey there everybody in FML land!  My warmest and most sincere love goes out
to you and all your little fuzz-buddies.

I've been lurking for awhile and have noticed a couple of things I wish to
comment on.  Nothing that warrants it's own post, but I just happen to have
insomnia and the surest cure for that is (as we all know) boring yourself
to sleep and there isn't anything quite as boring as the sound of your own
intelligence. :)

First off, this lactose intolerance thing.  I'm sure that there are many
things we could do to make milk products more ferret friendly, but why?
Yeah they love it and yeah they might do really cute tricks for it, but
the bottom line is that their bodies just aren't made for it so therefore
we shouldn't make it part of their diet.  I'm just wondering if all the
chemicals we might use to prevent the lactose intolerance may not be just
as harmful in the long run.

Having said that, I must admit that I too am guilty of giving my varmits a
lick or two of milk from time to time.  I mean, maybe there is some truth
to the old wives tale that drinking milk after a ferret can cure your
cough.  I just have these nightmarish visions of ferrets drinking gallons
and gallons of milk treated with dairy-ease.  In these cases, I usually go
with what I can the "cave man" theory.  When I consider a new dietary item,
I try to stop and think, "OK would my cave man grandfather have eaten
this".  That's to say, were we really meant to have this in the first
place.  Were ferrets really meant to have a saucer of milk every day?
Also, there has been talk about this human or that human who was lactose
intolerant because they stopped drinking it for awhile.  Well ferrets are
just intolerant, period.  At least that is my understanding...

Second, hairball remedies.  Does anyone know if Nutrical can act as a
hairball remedy.  It has a consistency similar to petromalt.

Third, thanks to all the people who wrote me concerning the formation of a
ferret club in Kentucky.  I plan on writing each of you individually, but
there were just soooo many of you.  Wow.  I'm starting to get really
excited about this!

Fourth, Bob Church, thanks for the idea!  Now I think I know what to do
the next time I get a door-to-door salesman!

And last, what do you mean ferrets keep their brains in their tales?  I
thought they stored them inside of the socks under they couch!

Britta