From:
Cindy Scheidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 23:43:13 -0500
For those of you that have contacted me and said that your
ferret/ferrets are sneezing, coughing or just do not feel well,
does not mean it is H1N1.

It was only with a pharyngeal swab taken and sent to the state lab
at the University of Kentucky was it determined that yes, the ferret
tested Positive for the H1N1. This specimen was collected on 2-16,
submitted on 2-17, and the results faxed back on 2-18. So it does
take a few days to obtain the results from this test.

It was then submitted to the CDC for the findings of the H1N1 in our
ferrets. An article regarding our H1N1 has been published in the AVMA.

Oxygen therapy, Nebulizer Therapy, Fluids, Vitamin C Injectable,
Clavamox, Batryl Injections, Furosemide Injection, Metacam Oral
Suspension, and incubation was the protocal used to save the other
16 ferrets.

I do know that the supportive care is terribly important, as it is with
any illness. Our vets were amazed that we did not have more losses than
one, but one was too many.

Please, if your ferret/ferrets are sick with flu like symptoms take
them to the vets and let the vet determine if a pharyngeal swab is
needed to check for the H1N1. The chances are that it is not the H1N1
but your vet will determine just what it is.