From:
Sandra Mount <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:00:01 -0700
>From:    Ferrets* <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Ferrets* has no problem with small rescues

Quoting Ferrets
>This is what the lady is referring to.
> http://www.webspawner.com/users/ferretwelfare/index.html
>Me thinks the lady duth protest to much

I have to disagree, she is NOT protesting too much.  She was just stating
her view, like you she is entitled to it.

Ferrets*Quote
>Would the Hagestown rescue and more recently a small rescue in the UK,
>would they have had so many problems, or would so many animals have been
>abused if some form of legislation had been in place to cope with it, it
>seems to me that neither of these rescues felt they could ask for help
>until the authority's got involved.

I disagree, there are regulations in place, against animal abuse in the
UK as well as USA....yet people who want to breed any animal will do so,
people who want to hoard will do so, people who abuse, will continue to
abuse....having registered charities will not stop that!

Ferrets*Quote-
>Now if the UK had a national rescue to which all the small rescues could
>be affiliate"

Have you not heard of the The British Federations of Ferret Welfares ?

Ferrets* Quote-
>so that each and every affiliated rescue was given a surprise inspection
>once or twice a year, then would we not have less animals being abused,
>or would we still have cases like Hagestown and the last one in the UK.

The last one in the UK was 200 dogs, in a three bedroomed house.....and
there more than one registered dog charity in the UK...it didn't stop
the abuse.  As for inspections, who's going to pay for all this?  The
charities?  The public -because we know they won't !

Ferrets* Quote -
>Before you say it, yes some one is always going to start up small
>rescue, but if there was legislation in place that said that anyone
>taking in say 3 animals a year had to be registered by the locale
>authorities and once the total number of rescued animals on the premises
>reached 6 in say any three years, then they would have to be registered,
>would we have more or less abusive rescues?"

Huh?  That would be an awful lot of inspections needed, I know a number
of charities that take in lots of ferrets, especially when it comes to
breeding season- if registering was just a simple application, everyone
one would do it, but it is not.....it's a lot of red tape and time.....
and for what?  What are the benifits?  The small rescues are run often
a single person or couple.  Once again, who's paying for all these
inspections?  The rspca is a multi million pound business, and they'd
struggle.  Forcing registration on ALL ferret charities will break some
small rescues/shelters/welfares already over-loaded backs!  In some
areas, there are only one or two ferrets rescues operatiing.....once
again it's the FERRETS that will suffer.

Quote-
>Can anyone tell what they personally have against registering as a
>charity?

(All that I've already stated above.)  Yes, the paper work, the time....
and for little or no benifit.  The unregistered charities do wonderful
work, work with teams of members, with great PR shows, they often work
with other unregisterd charities too.

As I understand it your not a registered charity yourself....though you
are affliatated to a group that promotes hunting, something you've stated
on your sites that, your against.?

Why would you want to hurt unregistered charities, you post that people
should NOT donate to such groups!  It's one thing to believe in being
registered it quite another to try and damage the welfare of ferrets, by
trying to stop people helping out these mostly wonderful ferret
rescue/welfare groups?  Why would you do that?  I can only imagine, it's
jealousy.

I've seen your shows, your ferrets, and your being an affliated to
registered charity, just proves .....that inspections - don't always
happen or work.

Sanguine Sandy.......not feeling so Sanguine.........and not protesting
as half as much as she'd like to.....because I want this to be posted.