From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 23:04:35 -0500
Dear Alison:

>I'd be glad to hear from any other vets on the list with more ferret
>experience than I have.  I've recently examined a ferret (adult male,
>neutered about six months ago) which has marked sinus arrhythmia on
>cardiac auscultation - no murmur.  Is this a normal finding, as in dogs,
>or of possible clinical significance in a ferret?

Pronounced sinus arrhythmia and respiratory bradycardina is common during
auscultation in the ferret. (For non-vets, the heart slows down during
inspiration.)  It can sometimes be quite dramatic.  I get this question
quite a bit.

All the best,
Bruce Williams, DVM