From:
Tony Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2010 02:40:12 +0100
>They have taught me that giving up is not an option as perseverience
>usually wins.

Too right.

I have ferrets for 11 years and yesterday one of them (Suki) has
succeeded where all before have failed.

They have free roam of living room, kitchen, utility (read ferret)
room, stairs and upstairs paasage way when I am in the house and not in
bed. I have a large cooker mounted in a wall unit with a grill at the
bottom, slightly above worktop height. when the door to the grill is
open (horizontal flap) all the ferrets have been tempted to explore,
below is a smooth flat door with nothing for the ferrets to grip and
climb, at the sides the flap is smooth metal that they can't grip, the
nearest surface they could jump from is 30 inches away and a few inches
lower. I turned on the grill and walked into the living room to give it
a few minutes to warm up, a clattering noise came from the kitchen, now
what, I thought, I walked into the kitchen to find Suki on the grill
pan and under the grill, the smell of singed fur greeted me. In panic
mode I grabbed her to find the the only damage was a few singed guard
hairs on her back. I have no idea how she got there. I have set up a
video cam to see how she did it (grill turned off) but she hasn't tried
again so far.

As we say in the UK, I am gob smacked.

Tony