From:
MR ANG DONG <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 1995 21:30:56 EDT
Hi all!

    I've been an observer of FML for about a week now and I am very
impressed.  I was directed to FML after I lost my adored fuzzie Maddie to
insulinoma.  I have recieved a lot of very helpful information about this
disease and I thank all thoughs who helped me.  However now I need to ask
for some advise.  I live in Westchester county in NY and ferrets are very
popular pets.  What I am not sure of is it okay to buy a fuzzie from a pet
store or am I better off getting one from a breeder?  My vet says that it
doesn't matter but I'm not so sure.  My reasoning is that I may get a
fuzzie with better genetics at a breeder then at a pet store.  I'm deathly
afraid of losing anymore babies to this desease or really any other desease
and any advise would be appreciated.

    Another matter that I could use some information on is longevity.  My
vet told me that ferrets generally only live for about 6 years before they
begin to develop all the problems that I've read about in the FML.  Does
this sound right??  It sounds pretty bad when my vet says that the odds of
problems developing are very high.

    Now just so you folks don't think that I'm all bad news, I want to say
that my two year old sable female Nikki is doing great!  At first she missed
her "sister" terribly, but with intense romping with mom and dad she's doing
much better.  And hopefully with the advise of everyone on the pet store
topic she'll be getting another sib in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for your help!

Jaya, Ang and Nikki