From:
Kevin Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 17:29:10 EST
A sad "Hello" and a tearful hug to all the furkids . . . .

I feel so terrible right now.  I hope I can stop crying long enough to type
this .

Yesterday evening I gave Zeus his meds.  I had changed the dining room into
his play area.  He ran around and explored.  He ate 2 plates (about 120cc)
of fuzzy Soup by himself.  We played for a bit, he was active.  His left
eye was fully open.  his right eye was still squinted a bit.  There was no
discharge.

At bedtime (1am) I walked into the kitchen.  He got up and ran over to me.
Both eyes were open and clear.  He was sleepy but alert.  I treated his
eyes .  Before putting him to bed we played for a while.  Everything
seemed fine.

I was woken this in the early morning by a high pitch "barking" sound.  It
was Zeus.  He was backed into a corner of the cage.  His fur was standing
up as though he had been frightened by something.  I talked to him and
petted him for a while.  He seemed to calm down.  He had a bit more Fuzzy
Soup.  He did not fight as I put him back into his bed.

I went into the kitchen this morning to find Zeus laying on the floor in
his cage.  He seemed too weak to stand.  He was able to crawl over to the
door when I opened it.  His poor little body was trembling as I stroked his
fur.  A short time later he started "barking" again.  That dreaded phone
call to the vet was in order.

This afternoon I was able to hold him as we said our last goodbye.  It was
painful for me to see him leave, but much less painful then seeing him
suffer.

Just last night I sent a friend a photo of Zeus laying on a towel.  I
remember saying something about the towels symbolism being disturbing to
me.  The towel was striped with pastels of yellow, blue, red, green.  In
the photo Zeus was resting comfortably on a rainbow background.

Maybe I was being fatalistic, or maybe I had a premonition, but a few
nights ago I held him and told him about The Rainbow Bridge.  I told him
that when his time came he should not be afraid.  I told him about Skeeter,
Sandee.  I told him to look for our beloved Guardian Lady.  I told him that
if it was meant for him to go I would understand.  Well, it was his time,
but I DON'T understand !

Everything seemed promising.  His eyes cleared up, the fever went away.
He remained active and alert.  He never lost his appetite.  But, now he is
gone.  Maybe he just wanted to fight to the end to show he was worthy of
his Godly name.  Anyway, he is at The Rainbow Bridge now.  Now, I know he
is well.

A very sad Kevin B and Way Kewl Critter Crew
~Furrice~Simon~Lacey~Hershey~Sprite~Socks~Cuddles~Java~Rascal~Miss Priss~
Cinna~Racer~Muttley~Dookesbury~
Guardian Fur-Angels -  ~Lady~, ~Zeus~
Missing our friends - Kimo the Sumo Cat (and Honorary Fert) and fellow
ferts ~Petey~, ~Nibbler~, ~Max~, ~Romeo~, ~Bandit~, and the other ~Romeo~
Saying "Hey!" to ~Pandora~, ~Noser~ and the rest of the Tennessee Brat
Pack !!

Prayers to the ill and those who have gone before us.  Hug your fuzzies
while you can, hold them in your heart when you can't.