From:
Leslie Cucino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 22:57:09 -0300
Ok folks, here is my contribution to the the APHIS Docket.  It took me
all of a half hour to type, scan the pictures, (which obviously aren't
included here but if anyone wants to see, email me) then proof read/spell
check.  Can't everyone on this list take a half hour out of their day for
something so important??  It need not be as long, it need not contain
pictures, but shouldn't the government at least have the real facts
before deciding this oh so important issue?  If WE as a whole don't stand
up to speak for those who can't, what good are we doing on this earth?
We made the FML 5000 a reality, let's make this come true too!  I am
willing to help anyone who asks to compose a letter.  I will type it,
proof it, print out the required four copies and mail them to you with
a addressed and stamped envelope for you to mail to the USDA.

C'mon, whatta deal!  How can you refuse?

Leslie

To Whom It May Concern,

I am the owner of ten ferrets, all but one were purchased at the same pet
store, the other was a dog pound rescue, but ALL are from the same
large breeder, <redacted>.  I can not attest to the neglect at the
farm(s) or in the transport, I can only attest to my own personal
experience with my own pets.

Of the ferrets I've purchased, the majority of them were under weight,
under nourished, had not had their adult canines erupt as of yet, and had
a protruding rectum.  The dental situation appears only in kits younger
than eight weeks of age, at which time the adult conical (canine teeth)
have erupted.

One ferret in particular, an albino female we named 'Little One' still
bore the black & blue bruise from her recent spaying when I purchased
her.  She had no adult teeth whatsoever and was literally starving to
death as she could not eat the dry kibble that was given to her.  Her rib
cage was evident, her hip bones prominent and she had no energy to even
move herself into a sleeping enclosure.  Because of her appearance, no
one had purchased her, she was alone in the enclosure.  I bought her,
brought her home and instantly began supportive care with the correct
moistened food and force feedings via a syringe.  Had I not intervened,
this baby most certainly would have died.

I have enclosed two pictures; the first is of the dry kibble most pet
stores feed the kits, alongside the actual right baby canine tooth of
this particular ferret.  That tooth is no thicker than a standard wire
paperclip.  The second picture is of the kit taken November 21, 2004, the
day I brought her home.  The toy keys I am holding were approximately 3
inches away from her.  Many people are familiar with this children's toy,
this ferret weighed about as much as that plastic toy.

Her paperwork from <redacted> states she was born between September 12
and 18th, 2004, neutered, descented, vaccinated for distemper once and
shipped November 8, 2004.  Best case scenario she was eight weeks at
shipping, worse case scenario she was seven weeks.  Either of these time
frames, (although certified by <redacted>) is outrageously incorrect!
The scientific fact is that kits do not erupt their adult canine teeth
until they are eight weeks of age.  This ferret had no adult teeth
whatsoever, it wasn't until two weeks later that her canines erupted,
forcing the tooth I have sent you a picture of out.  In reality this kit
was no more than six weeks of age at shipping time, which means she was
removed from her mother, force weaned, anesthetized, spayed, descented
and vaccinated by the time she was five weeks old.  Then put in a crate
with countless others in the same condition in late fall when the
temperatures are near freezing, shipped onto an airplane, flown to Greene
Airport where she sat more likely than not without adequate food or water
until someone from <redacted> picked up their shipment.

We wouldn't treat a dog this way.

continuing....

Kits that are shipped prior to eight weeks do not have the ability to
take in, nor get any value from the hard dry kibble that is provided to
them.  When and if they can eat some of this, their immature digestive
systems cause them to strain to defecate causing the protruding or
prolapsed rectum.  In the stores they are rarely socialized but left to
play with each other where the biggest and strongest survive.  They are
subjected 24 hours a day, seven days a week to lighting which is
believed, in conjunction with the early spay/neuter to be a leading
contributor to Adrenal Disease.  These ferrets are sold to the unknowing
public who can't resist 'because they're so cute' and are eventually
dumped on the animal shelters with no hair from progressive Adrenal
Disease, described as a 'bad biter' simply because they were never
socialized or the owners didn't understand the needs of this high
maintenance pet who suddenly costs more than a months worth of groceries
because of it's medical needs.

Of my other nine ferrets; one is displaying signs of Adrenal Disease-she
has a pear shape and loss of hair on the base of her tail, she's only
three years old.  Another, for want of a better term, is mentally
retarded.  He runs at nothing, can not defend himself, is basically
pretty spacey and needs to play by himself alot because the others avoid
him.  Two are deaf because of the farms' consistently breeding to produce
'fancies', they have perpetuated the gene that causes this abnormality.
These ferreets will most likely need extensive medical care by their
5th year of age and will die a year or two earlier than their non deaf
counterparts.  Two others are recovering biters affectionally named
Nibbles and Taz the She Devil.

With ferrets rapidly becoming as popular as our cats and dogs as
household pets, I implore you, I beg you to enact legislation that will
mandate a minimum shipping age of eight weeks.  Leave these babies with
their mothers to mature and finish nursing.  Please put an end to this
vicious cycle that does nothing but enrich the farms and burden the
shelters.

Thank you for your consideration.