Date:
Sun, 1 May 2005 12:30:33 +0100
Hi!  First, in February someone posted asking for information about
importing ferrets from North America to the U.K.  Unfortunately at the
time I didn't have a way to post on the fml and I accidentally deleted
the original message so I couldn't email that person personally.  I have
been occasionally looking for that message in the archives, but it's not
up yet.  So I'm sorry this is so late!

I hope you have had luck in finding information.  I have done the same
thing - bringing my two ferrets from the U.S. into the U.K.  It's a
really difficult decision and if you need help like with quarantine
information (though hopefully you'll be able to qualify for the Pet
Travel Scheme), please let me know.  The best email address to get me
at is [log in to unmask] .  If you haven't checked it out already,
you need to go to the government website regarding the Department for
Environment, Food and Rural Affairs at www.defra.gov.uk and the site
regarding animal imports at
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/int-trde/animl-im/animl-im.htm
paying special attention to the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS).  It's vital
that you get everything right.

Also if you need help with finding an airline, I flew British Midlands
(BMI) from Chicago to Manchester and was quite happy.  We did fly United
from New Orleans to Chicago and I wasn't as happy.  Unless things have
changed, Delta will not fly into the UK with pets because of all the
strict rules.  My advice is to go with a British carrier since
essentially they'll be flying 'home'.  And the British tend to have very
big hearts when it comes to animals.  If you need any help, please let
me know.  It's so important to get everything right in your move!  Good
luck!

For the person flying ferrets out of the U.K., as far as I know, you also
need to check the defra website.  I know that with flying into the U.K.
from another country you could only enter in three airports: Gatwick,
Heathrow, and Manchester.  It's very likely that because they will have
facilities for animals there, and the employees from DEFRA that you can
only fly animals out from those airports.  Remember to check the laws of
the country you're flying into as well.  They might only accept animals
flying in from certain airports as well.  And you need to know what vet
certificates, etc. are required for entry.  Good luck to you as well!

elizabeth