From:
"Thomas W. Kemper, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:33:28 -0600
Well, we did the surgery on Major Burns yesterday (Wednesday).  For those
of you who remember, he woke up a week ago with ataxia and lethargy, and
when checked, his blood glucose was 48.  After consultations with my vet, a
week on pediapred while my vet consulted with Dr. Roger Kendrick at the
Bowen Road Animal Clinic, in Grand Prairie, Tx, we decided to go ahead
and do the surgery here in Longview.  The great thing about Dr. Kenny
Kimbrough, is he knows his limitations.  He is technically outstanding as a
surgeon, but not having done the partial pancreatectomy before, he wanted
to be sure he wasn't going to get into something Major Burns couldn't
handle or that was beyond his skills in the area if it turned out more
complicated than expected.  Dr Kendrick suggested checking the adrenals
while he was in there, and sure enough, the right one was involved with
disease.  Dr Kimbrough removed 3 nodules from the pancreas, and removed the
tumor or diseased tissue from the right adrenal as well.  Major Burns came
through well.  He's resting, sleeping a lot, as expected, but did eat some
chicken last night and this morning along with A/D and about 1/2 teaspoon
of Duck Soup.

My question is this.  Since he didn't remove all of either organ (maybe he
took all of the right adrenal, I'm not sure of the procedure), what kind of
post operative therapy should we expect.  He says Dr Kendrick indicated
that no unusual medical therapies should be expected unless sympoms
eventually reappear.  What has been the experience of you FML'ers with more
experience with these diseases?  Thanks in advance for the input.

Major Burns says Hey! (weakly)
Tuck Kemper

(Proudly owned by Major Burns (ferret face), Scooter (the Dook of Earl),
and Widget (What's this litter box for?)