Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:18:46 -0400
  To: FML <[log in to unmask]>
  cc: "Jennifer B" <[log in to unmask]>

Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 4/7/2006, 2:30 AM:

>Can anyone help me process this?  I'm not saying the woman is wrong; I'm
>merely saying I don't know enough about the statement she made to know
>whether or not there is validity in it and cause for concern when
>exposing my furkid(s) to Petco ferrets (which is about once a year).

Several years ago, there was a known problem in the mid Atlantic region
with non Marshall Farms kits coming to pet stores ADV+.  In all cases,
they were kits that were handled by an animal distributor called Animals
Etc.  This distributor has a long history of problems, and MF will not
do business with them.  The majority of the ADV+ kits were being sold by
Petcos, but there were also some non-chain pet stores that were buying
kits through Animals Etc.

So, it was the opposite that was true - kits that were not MF kits were
the ones with ADV.  And, as far as I know, it was only the mid Atlantic
area that had a problem.  Additionally, this was several years ago, and
as far as I know, it has not been a problem recently.  In fact, most
Petcos in my area stopped buying from Animals Etc. and went back to
carrying MF ferrets.

I do not have any personal knowledge of the incidents of ADV+ kits,
but several East Coast shelters did have direct experience with this.
However, I do not know whether or not they still have any documentation
on this.  I am hoping that some of them saw your post and will respond.

In the meantime, you might want to join the ADVList, and look through
the archived messages.  There was a lot of discussion of the problem on
that list, and you could also find who to contact for more information.
Doing a search on that list on Animals Etc.  would likely turn up the
relevant messages.

I do not feel comfortable offering names and email addresses here,
but on the ADVList it is a matter of record for list members.  Here
is information for anyone interested in joining the list:

    Post message: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]
    Unsubscribe: [log in to unmask]
    List owner: [log in to unmask]

Now, I am not saying the Shelter person is wrong.  There may be something
new happening that I have not heard about.  Or, it may be that stories
about the past events I mentioned above have gotten garbled.

That said, it is always a good idea to quarantine any new ferret brought
into your house for 2 weeks or more, regardless of where they are coming
from.

And, while speaking about ADV, there is an article about ADV in the
May/June issue of Ferrets Magazine.  I don't think this issue is on the
newsstands yet, but as a subscriber, I received my issue last week.  A
lot of what is in the article is review information, but there is also
some new information, so I would recommend giving it a read, even if you
are familiar with the disease.
--
Danee DeVore
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator