From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 00:57:22 -0400
For all of you that have written very kind words to me about Patches, I
thank you so much.  This is not an easy time for me and so many of you have
offered kind words of comfort and it helps more than words can say.

Many of you have asked what is wrong with Patches.  I typed out a whole
detailed explanation, but the FML rejected it :-( for being too long.  For
anyone that wants a copy of that non-existant post, I'll copy and send it to
you.

In a nutshell, though, Patches has lymphoma.  And very likely
cardiomyopathy.  And now, the newest, he's quite anemic (normal level is 45,
he's 18).  He is a very poor candidate for surgery, as my vet told me today
after doing some bloodwork.  However, his spleen is HUGE, extending from one
side of his body to the other, and you can see it protruding from his
abdomen when he lays down.  It's not good.  The spleen is probably
obstructing his digestive tract, the vet believes, as he has lost the will
to eat.  There is little doubt that there are many, many tumors inside that
we can't yet see.

More bloodwork is being done right now, once those results are in we should
know if the anemia is chronic, or being caused by internal bleeding--the vet
fears that the spleen might be dripping blood, as it could easily have been
punctured by holding him, by his careless walking, or by his cagemate
walking all over him.  If the anemia seems to be caused by this, we are
going to operate on him tomorrow to remove the spleen.  This is what I want
to do, as I think most of his lethargy and unwillingness to eat are caused
by the size of the spleen, not the lympho--at this point anyway.  I know
that eventually the lympho will take him too, but if taking the spleen out
will give him a few more months of quality, happy life, then I have to
consider it.  Also, I fear that without removing the spleen, I will have to
put him down in a matter of days.  For that reason, the risk of losing him
during surgery is fairly inconsequential; at least WITH the surgery I might
have a chance, without it, I don't think so.

We did put him on PediaPred today, and we are feeding him strawberry
Ensure. I'm giving him water by hand on the hour, because he's dehydrated
and the vet was worried that injecting fluids would cause too much stress.
He ate two raisins in the past 24 hours, that was a big excitement. But in
both cases, he wouldn't take a second after he ate the first. He does LOVE
the Ensure, however, and while it's not the best solution, at least he's
getting some nutrients.

Everyone, please keep fingers and paws crossed. The next 24 hours will
decide my baby's fate, I think. I'm coming to terms more with this, but the
pain is still here. He's my baby and I just can't imagine not having his
pudgy body in my arms, ready to give me kisses every day. Keep us in your
thoughts.

Kymberlie Becker
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady