From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 06:57:47 -0400
A few comments, and questions.......

I am seeing posts about females from the DMK "rescue" possibly being
pregnant, which, of course, is very likely. Is any screening being done
to insure that these possibly pregnant ferrets will be properly cared
for? Do the people taking them know how to care for pregnant mothers,
and their babies? Does their vet know how to deal with pregnant mothers
and babies? What about emergencies during the pregnancy, birth, and
afterward? Is there a network in place to get assistance from seasoned
breeders? Are people prepared, financially and physically, to care for
10-12 kits indefinitely, until homes are found, if they ever are? What
is being done to prevent people from selling intact mothers and babies?
What is being done to prevent future breeding from these mothers and
babies? I am worried about the health and safety of these mothers and
their babies in inexperienced hands.

And, in line with Kevin's post, I would like to take it one step
further. For those ferrets who are now in homes and shelters, why not
just call them FERRETS!! Why not drop any descriptive term or label
entirely? Once they are in a home, they are your family members! Once
they become available for adoption, they are just more homeless animals
needing homes. They are no more special than any other homeless animal
out there.

I was pleased to see on today's FML that the majority of the 800+ (?)
ferrets have been adopted, and that no more donations are needed at
the intake shelter. That is amazing!

Katharine