From:
"Helen L. Coburn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:12:50 -0400
Deziree,

This is my 2 cents: I am not a vet, but I have had 2 albino boys for a
year (shelter babies).  When we got our boys we found a very ferret
knowledgeable vet locally.  Dr. Karen was patient with 2 new parents.
It is important to us to have somebody we trust.  This is the same way we
feel about pediatricians for our 2 human kids, and what are fuzzies but an
addition to your family.  Seeing the same vet builds a relationship between
the owners, ferrets and vet.  You need somebody you can trust and who will
answer your questions.  This became more evident when Mark had to have
surgery last month.  We entrusted Dr. Karen with Mark, knowing she would do
everything to help him.  As it is, Mark is doing great after surgery.  Yes
it was less traumatic on us, the parents, knowing that Dr. Karen was doing
the surgery.

As it is, Dr. Karen is now at a new practice.  The family decided that
it is important enough to us to travel the 1 hr and 15 mins to see her.
Yes if it is an emergency (ferret can not wait the drive time) we will
go to the emergency animal hospital.  But this is no different than taking
my kids to the emergency room when needed.

I am not saying we made the right choice, and anything less is the wrong
choice.  I am saying you need to make your own decision, because when they
get ill you want somebody you can trust.

all right more than 2 cents worth,
Helen