From:
Cathy Mook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 1995 23:22:22 EST
Hi!

        My name is Cathy and I am brand new to this list. I was planning on
lurking around in the background for a few weeks till I got the 'feel' for
this list, but I just read a message from Kevin Pratt that made my blood
run cold, and I felt I must warn him and others who might let their ferrets
play with wine corks.

        Last fall, I was waitressing at an Italian restaurant and usually
threw the corks from the wine bottles I opened away. One night, I forgot to
throw one out, and it was still in my pocket when I got home form work. I
tossed my apron on the sofa and Rugger was into the pockets in a flash. He
was having so much fun gnawing on the cork I didn't have the heart to take
it away from him. I think you know where this story is going. Rugger
ingested bits of the cork, his bowels were blocked, and the vet was unable
to save his life.

        Please don't let Babka, or ANY ferret, play with corks. They are
NOT toys. I learned my lesson the hard way. I lost my Rugger to one,and I
learned to keep all corks away from Tigger and the Rat.

        Learn from my tragic mistake.

Cathy Mook