From:
Alicia Gonzalez Legorreta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:39:57 -0600
On March 7th. I had to help Mateo cross to the Bridge. I am utterly
crushed and filled with sorrow.

Mateo was such a sweet, happy soul. And a total Mommy's boy.

"Hello", he'd whisper in my ear every morning when I picked him up.
"Hello" I'd whisper back. Mateo made me smile every single day we were
together. The bed was not properly made unless Mateo helped me make it.
Pouncing on the sheets, playing tug of war with the covers. Running
around in a joyous hide and seek game. All the time with that happy
dooking filling the room. Mateo was also my only jumper. He'd jump from
the bed to the dresser, all his limbs straight out. "Weeeeeee! To the
infinite and beyond!" - he seemed to say.

Always up for a cuddle, I'd often scoop Mateo up and sing to him an
adapted version of the Hey Mickey song while we danced together across
the room - "Hey Matthew you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my
mind! Hey Matthew! Hey Matthew!" Matthew was his nickname, it's Mateo
in English. I'll still sing to you, my baby, I hope you can hear me at
the Bridge.

I found Mateo's ping pong ball today. I bawled my eyes out. It was the
only toy he loved, and the only ball Matilda would let him have. Mateo
pushed it around the whole house going faster, faster, faster! If I
made it bounce on the floor, Mateo would mimic every bounce of the
ball.

Mateo was always a looker. My handsome baby. He had the cutest teddy
bear face. I adored his nose, stained dark with a little T. And
everyone just had to notice his gorgeous, lush coat.

So many memories come to my mind all at once. I feel as if I could
write a book on how wonderful you were and how much you enriched my
life.

"Wait for me at the Bridge" - I whispered in your ear. "Will you wait
for me, please? You'll be happy and healthy again at the Bridge". I
wished for a magic cure but there was none. Your kidneys had shut
down. I don't know why. You were the only one who still danced and
dooked continuosly. You were the only one not on meds.

My only consolation is that not a day went by without me kissing you,
cuddling you and telling you how much I loved you.

Dance on, Mateo. When the time comes, we will be together for eternity.

Missing you so very much,

Your mommy Alicia and your siblings Matilda & Lucas