From:
Nancy Hartman CIS graduate student <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1992 04:16:21 -0400
 Subject:  Ferret List Issue 262

> Someone (I don't recall who. I deleted the last issue about eight
> hours ago.) mentioned getting a ferret at the Humane Society. Is this
> common? What is the likelihood of finding a ferret there? (I'm in
> Philadelphia, if it makes a difference)

I do know someone who got a ferret from a shelter in Philly, it may
have been the SPCA, though.  I don't know about the Humane Society.

There is an excellent ferret shelter North of Philly in Hatfield, PA.
Here's the info:

Montgomery County Ferret Rescue
Desiree Kehr
215-368-3906

I'm not sure how far that is from Philly, though.

We also have about 4 ferrets in our shelter right now, I think they
are in the location closer to Wilmington, DE (but on the West side).
You can call Steve Krouse at 302-633-1308 if you are intersted in them.

> What kind of cage should be used to keep them in. I'd like to keep
> mine romaing free, but I would like to keep it out of trouble while
> I'm at work/school.

Any small animal cage, at *LEAST* 2 1/2 by 3 feet.  The more time they
spend in it, the larger it has to be!  Desiree could probably tell you
the best places around Philly to find one.

> What's the best way to keep them from smelling? I've noticed that
> "descented" ferrets at pet stores smell.

Ferrets in pet stores are usually very young.  Just like puppies,
ferret kits are pretty stinky.  Also, pet stores usually keep ferrets
in wood chips (which give them terrible respiratory problems, BTW!  :-( ).
The wood chips get pretty smelly when they get dirty, and that gets on
the ferret.

You can bathe a ferret as often as every other week.  They aren't like
cats about baths, so it's not that hard.  Just pick up a ferret shampoo,
and conditioner (optional) dump the little guy in the tub and scrub him
down.

> I'm allergic to cats. Will ferrets affect me the same way?

Very often people who are allergic to cats are O.K. with ferrets, then
again I know some people who are allergic to ferrets and cats.

Spend a day or two at one of the local shelters.  Maybe you could work out
a deal with Desiree where you help her clean out cages for a couple
days and she'll cut the price.  That way you could spend time with the
ferrets, Desiree would get some much needed help, and you could learn
about ferret care in the process.  I don't know if she'll go for the
idea, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

> Has anyone ever had a problem with a ferret chewing their computer? I

With the average ferret this won't be a problem.  If it becomes one, get some
bitter apple furniture cream to spread on the wires.

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree