From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:47:20 -0500
 Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:54:06 -0000
 Subject: Re: Colloidal silver

Here's my feeling - no comment.

Sorry to be so non-committal, but I've got to drw the line somewhere, and
I don't know a thing about complementary therapies.  Please note my use of
the term complementary, as I don't think that even the vets that are using
these therapies these days are turning their back on traditional therapies
for well-known problems.

That said, I have yet to see a problem with using many of these products.
The arguments that currently rage on colloidal silver every time it raises
its head are simple matters of disagreeing opinion.  the side for colloidal
silver has in my opinion, only anecdotal on its success.  The vocal
opposing side has theoretical data that it may cause toxicosis if overused,
but really no casework to back it up in ferrets.  I haven't seen any cases
of silver toxicosis, so I can't totally discourage it.  There is a lot
that we do not know about complementary therapies; the studies have just
not been done.

On the front of complementary therapies, I have extended offers to two
vets with interest in complementary therapy and in ferrets to join the
list - I will continue to try to bring in a more expert viewpoint on their
employment to the FHL.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List: