From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 08:23:35 -0500
[I hope the title covers the question.]

We've had very good luck up here in NH in working with the larger humane
society shelters.  It was just a matter of visiting each and every one to
introduce ourselves, show them our state license, offer free literature on
ferret care, and leave a small pile of business cards.  We also work with
them during their annual events (fairs, seminars, etc.).  We get referrals
from nearly all of the shelters now all over the state and even Mass.

Most of these shelters are very reluctant to euthanise any animal.  Perhaps
if you gave them sufficient technical information concerning the "actual"
non-threat of rabies in ferrets, they would be more likely to send the
ferrets to you rather than kill them.

I do have a rather thick information packet that we used with the NH Senate
and House to get a State Quarantine Law passes for vaccinated ferrets.
Wish we could afford to give it away, but it costs us about $10 to get it
copied and mailed.  If you're interested, please email me at :
[log in to unmask]  I hope to add the 30 October CDC Rabies Study Abstract.
If any of you haven't seen or heard this one, the KSU/CDC study (Phase 1)
showed:

   An unspecified number of ferrets were injected with a skunk strain of
   rabies.  33 developed symptoms and were later tested and found rabies
   positive.  None were found with the rabies virus in their saliva
   (necessary if they are to pass it on through a bite).  One was found
   with the virus in the salivary gland (the abstract led me to believe
   that this ferret died of the disease before it was examined, but it was
   unclear.) Since "shedding" of rabies is defined as the appearance of the
   virus in the saliva prior to the onset of symptoms (dogs can shed the
   virus for up to 8-14 days prior to showing symptoms); this study showed
   that ferrets do not shed the virus.  Mean time from onset of symptoms to
   death was 4 days.  The results closely mirror earlier studies done by
   Forester in Germany, and Blancou in France.  They tested ferrets using
   the vole and fox strains respectively.  Neither found the virus in the
   saliva.  Forester found the virus in the salivary gland of one ferret
   "at the outset of death." The concentrations were so low that only one
   of five test mice, injected with a solution made from the salivary
   gland, directly into the cranium, developed rabies.

   Based on their studies and empirical evidence (there have never been
   observed to have significant numbers of rabid polecats in the wild, nor
   is there a specific "polecat rabies strain"), both concluded that the
   "ferret was a dead end for rabies."

   The closest relatives to the ferret in North America are the weasel,
   ermine, and mink.  Rabies is extremely rare in these animals, and there
   is not a "weasel strain" of rabies.  I found one case of a rabid weasel
   reported by the CDC over the years, I believe (I don't have my info
   packet with me), 1988-1992.

   The total number of ferrets found with rabies,since the CDC began
   compiling data in 1958 is under 20.  Some of these were caused by people
   vaccinating the ferrets with a modified live rabies vaccine (IMBAB is a
   killed virus).

Seems to me that these findings show that the ferret is one of the safest
carnivores to have as a pet, and in no circumstances should be routinely
euthanized because of a rabies concern.  Perhaps if the ferret were showing
symptoms consistent with rabies, but never a healthy ferret.  I couldn't
tell you the number of blood-letting nips I've gotten from frightened, half
starved "found" ferrets.  I've never even gotten an infection and certainly
after seeing the results of all of those studies never worry about rabies.

          Dick B.