From:
Liesl Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 00:41:11 -0500
Hello Folks,

During the last few months, I have found myself losing interest in reading
the FML.  After finishing today's issue, I started wondering why, after 4-5
years of devoted FML reading, I don't always look forward to the arrival of
each days issue.  I finally realized that while each of us in the FML
community dearly love fuzzies, sometimes that love can put harmful blinders
on us.  We all want the best for ferrets, and that is wonderful.  Each one
of us has opinions on various ferret-world issues; these views come about as
a result of our processing of information and emotion.

Both information and emotion can be read incorrectly by others, especially
in a written medium such as the FML where we cannot see facial expressions
nor hear vocal inflections.  Furthermore, our emotions can drive us to say
hurtful things to others, particularly when our views are questioned in a
less-than-respectful way.  Because we love ferrets so much, and we want to
care for them in the best manner possible, we forget to take care of each
other.  This is not good for any of us.  Neither is it good in terms of
others' views on our community - if we don't treat each other with respect,
others may see us in a negative manner.

After realizing this, I decided to post a simple request.  I am but one
participant in the FML.  However, I suspect that others may agree with my
request.  Can we please treat each other with respect, and think of others
feelings before we post hastily?  Personal attacks of others have no place
here.  Asking others about their views and opinions is a great way to learn
neat ferret stuff, but there are issues that come loaded with emotion while
having no easy answers.  Perhaps each one of us could, when he/she feels
that there are bones to pick with another individual, remove that particular
conversation to private e-mail.

Please, let's treat each other with the respect and consideration we give
our ferrets.

Thank you to all for listening.

Liesl Fisher