From:
Ernest Renda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 13:00:09 EDT
hi all!
it's been a while since my first post.  i've run into some questions and i
wanted to see if any of the "resident vets" could help me.  i'm still
working my way through the FAQ, so i apologize if i'm asking something
that's in there.  anyway, out here in Mass it's hard to find vets that are
very knowledgeable about ferrets so i have to wonder when i hear one tell my
customers something i haven't read anywhere yet.  a customer of my pet store
recently brought her new fuzzies to a new vet in the area.  i'm not sure
where this vet is from, so she may be very experienced with ferrets and be
very right about what she told them, but i don't know.  anyhow, here's the
info they came back with:

-ferrets need to have benadryl before their shots or they could go into
 shock and die
-there is a ferret distemper shot, but canine distemper is better (this i've
 heard, is it true?)
-ferrets need to have heartorm pills
-tartar buildup is a common problem (this i hadn't heard, but it's common in
 cats and dogs so it doesn't surprise me)

anything you can tell me about these will be greatly appreciated.  also, if
youcould address all answers to this e-mail address i'll get the answers
quicker since i only get to read all the FML posts once a week.
unfortunately, this means i miss out on alot of them for lack of time.
thanks again and the email address is [log in to unmask]

carrie, ej, kodo,trex, and rikki