From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:00:12 -0500
>From:  zen and the art of ferrets - bill and diane <[log in to unmask]>
>Very few "ferret shelters" operate out of store fronts.  None that we know
>of on the East coast.  We do not know about the large ones in Florida or
>Chicago as we haven't visited them.  Most in the Mid-Atlantic operate out
>of private homes.  Ours included.  Many do operate as vendors of various
>supplies for both ferrets and ferret owners but none look like a store.
>Neither do the cat or dog rescues we've been to look like stores.

If the Florida shelter to which you refer is the South Florida Ferret Club
and Rescue in Miami, I can tell you that we do NOT operate out of a store
front.  The shelter occupies two large rooms in our shelter operator's home.

Our shelter operator also has a ferret store which helps to support the
shelter, but it's about 10 miles from her home, and I guess you could call
this a store front, though being located in a warehouse district, you'd have
to be seriously looking to find it.  It's only a mile from my home, but I
didn't know it existed until a year or so after it opened.

The only time shelter ferrets are there is when arrangements have been made
in advance to meet a prospective adopter there.  If one were to walk in at
any other time, you would find neither the shelter operator (she has enough
to do without having to run the store) nor ANY ferrets, unless a customer
happened to bring their's along.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club and Rescue, Inc.
*
* Visit our web site: http://www.gate.net/~mjanke