From:
BOB NIXON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 19 May 1994 23:54:07 -0400
This is in reply to Chris and Scooter from Billingham Wash,

First my name is Bob Nixon from the Phoenix Area, I currently have just
1 Ferret "Golum" He is my Eight ferret. I lost 3 this last year due to
old age and cancer.

Arizona politics concerning Ferrets is very good compared to some
places in the USA.  There are lots of midwestern transplants in
Phoenix, where Ferrets seem to be very popular.  If you subsribe to
*STAR* you will see that, for a small state there are quite a few
Ferret organizations in AZ. The Central AZ Ferret Club, the
organization that I am a member has about 150 "active members". We have
on sereral occasions has speakers from the Phoenix Zoo speaking on the
captive breading program for the Black Footed Ferrets of which the Zoo
is an active participant. There are future plan to release the
BF-Ferrets in northern AZ.

We have Domestic Ferrets available from Pet Store (Mashall Farms Bred)
and a local network of breeders. I don't know what the local ferret
population is but availability and veteranary care is good for the
furries here. We even had Suzanne Resinger also known as the Ferret
Lady featured in one of the local newpapers in a 3 page color spread on
ferrets.  Our availability is also suplemented by rescue's from
California. Currently they are flown in and picked up at the Airport
from L.A.

Now for the down side!  As you are probably aware, Phoenix has 4 to 5
months a year with average high temperatures >100 deg f. Ferrets start
to overheat about 85. We must be extremely careful with Ferret's
outside and espesially in cars in the summer. An emply 12 oz. soft
drink plastic bottle filled with water, then Frozen and put in the
Ferrets's carrier before embarking  anywhere as well as PreCooling the
car before leaving with the ferrets. Car temps.  with windows up and no
sunshades can exceed 150 deg f.  in the summer

Thats about it.  Chris thanks for getting me on the mailing list.  We will
pass it around and I will respond to any questions our member may have

BOB Nixon   on Compuserve 72702,3713 or internet address is   [log in to unmask]

[[log in to unmask] doesn't work worth a darn, in case you wondered why
you didn't get subscribed at that address.]