Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:47:11 EDT
Recently my housemates and I moved.  Between us we have 6 ferrets, two of
whom are male.  Now, all of the ferrets were clearly shaken up by the move,
but we noticed that the two male ferrets seemed to have a much harder time
adjusting to the new surroundings than all the female ferrets did.  Both of
the males, who ordinarily have significantly different personalities, got
mopey and depressed, which lasted for about three weeks.  The females by
contrast all seemed well-adjusted within a week.  In the case of my male
ferret Cully, he also got temporarily aggressive with my fiance (although
Cully was also adjusting to an increased prednisone dose and a Lupron
shot).  Has anyone else noticed any sort of pattern with the reaction of
different ferret genders to having to relocate their territory?

BTW, I know that some of you were curious about Cully and Lupron's effect
on his adrenal, because the source of his adrenal was quite possibly a
product of his lymphoma and not a normal adrenal tumor.  He's had two of
the three shots now, and I have noticed a distinct improvement in his
fur; the hair he lost over his shoulders has grown back in completely.
However, I know that the fur often comes back in on its own, and he's still
frantically running from litterbox to litterbox trying to urinate when
he doesn't actually have to go (I've seen him urinate just fine on other
occasions, so I know that he's not really blocked up).  So, I can't really
tell how much good the shots have done him, but I can say they don't seem
to have done him any harm.  I haven't noticed any of the hot flashes the
vet mentioned.  I'll let you all know what the vet says when the course
of shots is complete... All we're really hoping for is that the Lupron
prevents adrenal symptoms from being added to the end of Cully's time here.

Regina

Regina Harrison  [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/8096

               ...melancholia, mon cher...