From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 12:08:47 -0400
To Peter:

>I recently read about an oral medication to be given to dogs and cats on a
>monthly basis to pprevent flea infestations. Does anybody (vets?) know
>whether these are approved for ferrets or if there is a similar product for
>ferrets?

        Peter - the drug that you are speaking of is lufeneron, which has
recently come on the US market.  It is not a total preventative in itself -
what it does is cause a softening of the eggs of the fleas, so the eggs will
not hatch.  It doesn't however, prevent the flea from biting the dog, or offer
any protection from the fleas' bite.

        I use it in my dogs as PART of a flea control program which includes
bathing, spraying the yard, and bombong the house.

        It is not approved for ferrets, nor has it been tested, according the
the company.  I am not using it on my ferret - I will continue with
pyrethin-based shampoos, and careful inspection.

        I would be interested to know if anyone on the FML is using it in
ferrets.

--
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]               Armed Forces Institute of Pathology