From:
"Ferret Aid Society..." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:41:53 -0400
I was hoping some of you shelter moms & dads could shed some advice on this
one for me.

BEFORE knowing about the ECE virus, a seemingly nice couple adopted 2 lovely
ferrets from us.  1 was a London rescue, the other a baby ferret who was
unaltered.  I do not believe in neutering or spaying at an early age, so I
gave the new parents a spay neuter certificate to go to my vet and have the
ferret neutered when he reached maturity.

Now, almost 3 months later, the parents do not want to go to our vet, but
want me to pay for a neuter surgery at their vet for $145 (which was more
than the adoption price) because they say they do not like my vet.  Yet,
when I called them last month to warn them about ECE, they went directly to
my vet for treatment, and again 3 days ago for a check up.  They don't like
my vet because he would want to vaccinate the ferret for Rabies & Distemper
1 week before the neuter surgery and they feel it's not necessary.

As well, they want me to cover all costs incurred for their vet bills for
all of their ferrets who got ECE as a result of them adopting our ferrets.
I have no problem with this except I can hardly keep up with our own shelter
vet bills, never mind someone else's.

My questions 2 U R do other shelters cover costs incurred to ferrets that
were adopted through them with ECE?  And, is it morally wrong for me to not
pay $145 for a neuter elsewhere from where the certificate states?  The
Ferret Aid Society http://home.echo-on.net/~magick