From:
Diane Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 14:37:35 -0900
Thanks to the very kind generousity of a FML subscriber, my 2 adrenal boys
had their surgeries.  Jinx had his about a month ago and came through with
flying colors.  They also found a suspicious lump on the pancreas that they
removed.  Biopsy came back great, neither the mass they removed from the
adrenal gland nor the one removed from the pancreas were cancerous.
YIPPEEEE!

I had the same hope for Jinx's cagemate Jax.  They both began to show
symptons at around the same time.  Jax went in yesterday for his surgery.
The mass they removed from the left gland was huge, about the size of a
walnut.  All else looked fine.

When I brought him home last night, he just did not seem to be recovering
the way the others had done.  He was crying softly at the slightest touch.
I checked the incision sight as carefully as I could and found evidense of
some bruising but nothing out of the norm.  He did seem to be slightly
distended in his abdominal area but because he was bald that to can be
misleading, making him appear larger cause all you see is skim.  I fed him
a little bit of food and checked on him very frequently.  I tried not to
disturb him because it seemed to cause him pain.

Called the after hours vet clinic and she said that some discomfort is
normal, (yeah I knew that already) and that just like people, animals can
have differing degrees of tolerance to pain, but to watch him over the
night.  I want to check on him at 9pm and he had died.  He had only been
home 2 hours.  I was in shock and feeling very guilty because I was the
one that took him in for the surgery.  He was so happy and ferrety the day
before and we had him on Lysodren until the surgery could be done.

I took him into Dr. Stuve at Aurora this morning and he was just as
shocked.  Aside from a very large spleen and a tummy full of food plus a
very large mass on the arednal, the surgery went well.  Maybe this had
something to do with the large spleen or maybe a suture had given way.  He
did a post mortem and came back almost as puzzled.  The spleen had returned
to a normal size but his abdomen and intestional area were very distended,
lots of gas.  But, did it happen before he died or was this a post mortem
happening.  We did not fast Jax, Dr did not think it necessary.  Dropped
him off at 8 am with a fuzzy kiss and a "see Ya" and he had surgery about
10am.  I really did think alll would be fine.

Has this happened to anybody before?  Yes, I normally do fast them.  Take
away their food about 4am and water about 6am.  Needless to say, that
fasting them was the only difference between this surgery and the others.

Sadly and still in shock,
Diana and The minus 1 Ferret Farm