From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:52:21 -0500
Dear Kat:

>I am writing today because I have a question about colloidial silver.
>A friend of mine has a dear fuzzie that has recently been diagnosed with
>insulinoma and I was wondering if colloidial silver could help out at all
>in this situation.  I did look around a bit and found some interesting
>webpages that tell of benefits that it can bring to humans.

Briefly, I am not a supporter of colloidal silver.  The compound, although
it does not appear to be harmful to ferrets, has no theoretical or
definitive evidence that it would help in insulinoma or any other malady
in ferrets.  It has been used in all ferret disease, from adrenal disease
to ECE, to wide acclaim, which makes it immediately suspect.  There is no
logical reason why it would interact with neoplastic pancreatic islet
cells, or toerh neoplasms for that matter.

I apologize for the cynicism, but as a pathologist, I know why drugs work.
There is a reason why penicillin works, and why prednisone works, and why
benedryl works.  No one has scientifically come up with a mechanism for
colloidal silver to exert beneficial effects in the living host, so I've
got to be skeptical.  I'm sure that there are vets out there who believe
in the product and I know that lots of owners use it, but their belief is
largely faith, and not backed up by scientific data.  Personally, that is
what I need to say that something works.

My standard answer is this - if it doesn't harm the ferret, do ahead and
give it a try.  But don't get your hopes up too high.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

(Now I've done it - testimonials and hate mail will come flying in.....
folks if it's working for you, great - keep using it.  I just think you
are doing something else good.)