From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 08:18:32 -0800
I apologize for this being somewhat off topic.  It was sent to me by my
mother, who is a member of a Scotty Dog message board.  I have no idea if
the shelter in question ever handles ferrets, or indeed, any other animal
besides dogs or cats, but because this list is full of animal lovers of
all kinds, in all areas, I thought it would be an interesting read for
many.

Because if size limitations, I had to cut the Press Release from the end.
If anyone would like to read it, or wants a copy of it, let me know, and
I'll send along my copy.

Melissa Barnes

-->Begin Clip
I don't know how many of you are aware, but Atlanta animal welfare
advocates have been trying for over 10 years to make reforms at the
Fulton County Animal Shelter, which is managed by the Atlanta Humane
Society (AHS had $19.9 million dollars in assets and $6.1 million dollars
in income in year 2000).

The Atlanta Humane Society DOES NOT ALLOW THE PUBLIC TO ENTER the Fulton
shelter to adopt animals, hence, almost every dog or cat not reclaimed
by its owner is killed.  They only transfer 5% of the animals to their
private facility for potential adoption each year, though many of those
are also euthanized once they go through "triage" at AHS.

The remaining pets at the Fulton Shelter that are not quickly reclaimed
by their owners are killed -usually within 72 hours.  They refuse to scan
for microchips and we have been told by pet owners that Fulton shelter
employees have said that they would not even call them if their pet came
in with personal ID tags.

They have also refused to work with rescue groups.  The Fulton County
Animal control ordinance states that they are supposed to be working with
licensed rescuers and recently the Fulton County authorities have even
told them that they must must work with licensed rescue groups, but they
still won't.  The last time a group tried was a few weeks ago - one
Atlanta rescue group went to both the Fulton Shelter and Atlanta Humane
Society with their veterinarian, their 501c3 paperwork and their
Department of Agriculture license to rescue and asked to fill out the
paperwork that would allow them to rescue animals.  They were turned
away from both facilities and told that neither shelter work with rescue
groups.

About 4 months ago, a local TV station aired a "Whistleblower Report"
about the Atlanta Humane Society.  Three former employees went on air and
stated that the Atlanta Humane Society was misleading the public with
false adoption statistics and false claims about cruelty investigations,
an ambulance service and a 24 hour clinic.  Since that time, animal
welfare advocates are once again attempting to make reforms at the Fulton
County Animal Shelter.

We need to find a way to let the pet lovers out there know what is going
on in Atlanta.  Therefore, we would greatly appreciate it if you would
forward this email to every dog related email list that you are on and
ask EVERYONE on these on lists to send the press release below to ALL
media contacts that they have.  On behalf of the homeless animals in
Atlanta, we thank you.

[P.S.]
OK, silly me.  I post the bit about the shelter in Atlanta, and then I
say that you can email me for a copy of the press release.  Well, I will
be on vacation until Tuesday, April 9th, and I have no idea whether I
will be able to check my email while gone or not.  So if you email me in
the meantime, and don't get a response right away, thats why.

Please forgive me.

Melissa Barnes
Mira, Tasha, Robin, Samurai, Nietzsche and O'Dell
Missing Cael and Booboo always

=====
Melissa
www.geocities.com/lostferrets