From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 13:05:23 -0400
I have two four month old kits, brother and sister from a private breeder.
I am going to get them both neutered/spayed about 6 monthes old.  This is
mostly because I will be away from my permanent residence until beginning
of August.  My question is that I cannot decide who I want to do the
surgery.  My vet in town has never done a spay or neuter on a ferret
before.  He has however, done a lot for me including giving me free vet
work when my last ferret had lymphosarcoma and coming in at 9 pm on a
Sunday evening to put her to sleep for me when there was nothing else we
could do for her.  He is also a fairly close friend now.  The other vet I
use is a more experienced ferret vet, but he is about 45 minutes away.  He
has done the procedures before.  Cost is not an issue because they both
charge about the same.  Time is though as I would spend about three hours
driving back and forth to the experienced vet.  I don't want to hurt my
vet's feelings by telling him that I want the other vet to do the
procedures, but I also worry about him practicing/learning on my ferrets.
He did do an adrenal surgery on one of my other ferrets and he did a good
job.  Does anyone have advice for me?  I know about females having trouble
with ovarian remnants, but I don't know how this is related to the vet's
experience.  Please respond as I am really stressing over this.  Thanks so
much!

[RV]